[plug] setting up apt-get

David Buddrige dbuddrige at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 5 16:51:57 WST 2008

The computer called "main" [which has an ip of 192.168.0.50] has a
direct internet connection and is running squid so that other computers
on the network, including ross-desktop [my house-mates Ubuntu machine]
and "david-laptop" [my personal kubuntu machine] can get to the
internet.

I have copied the /etc/apt/apt.conf file from david-laptop to
ross-desktop in the hope that this would allow ross-desktop to also be
able to apt-get from the internet via squid running on main.

The /etc/apt/apt.conf on my laptop is thus:

root at david-laptop:/home/david# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
// $Id: apt.conf,v 1.43 1999/12/06 02:19:38 jgg Exp $
/* This file is a sample configuration file with a few harmless sample
   options.
*/

APT
{
  // Options for apt-get
  Get
  {
     Download-Only "false";
  };

};

// Options for the downloading routines
Acquire
{
  Retries "0";
};

// Things that effect the APT dselect method
DSelect
{
  Clean "auto";   // always|auto|prompt|never
};

DPkg
{
  // Probably don't want to use force-downgrade..
  Options {"--force-overwrite";}
}

http::Proxy
{
  http://[my-user-name]:[my-password]@192.168.0.50:3128
}
root at david-laptop:/home/david#

This configuration works perfectly on david-laptop, but when the exact
same file is put onto ross-desktop at /etc/apt/apt.conf, with the only
adjustment being for http::Proxy which is set to Ross's
username/password [and the machine is restarted], I get the problems I
initially sent in the first email.

I am therefore trying to figure out what more I need to do to get it
working.  Unfortunately it has been such a long time since I configured
david-laptop that I cannot recall any other things that I did to make it
work.

thanks heaps

David.