[plug] setting up apt-get

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 11 14:20:24 WST 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 04:51 pm, David Buddrige wrote:
> The computer called "main" [which has an ip of 192.168.0.50] has
> a direct internet connection and is running squid so that other
> computers on the network, including ross-desktop [my house-mates
> Ubuntu machine] and "david-laptop" [my personal kubuntu machine]
> can get to the internet.

[snip apt.conf info]

First thing to find out is whether the proxy authentication details
in this file are accurate.  To test these credentials, run

  HTTP_PROXY=http://192.168.0.50:3128 w3m -pauth user:pass moo.com

> This configuration works perfectly on david-laptop, but when the
> exact same file is put onto ross-desktop at /etc/apt/apt.conf,
> with the only adjustment being for http::Proxy which is set to
> Ross's username/password [and the machine is restarted], I get the
> problems I initially sent in the first email.

You could try using Aptitude instead (uses same options as apt-get);
maybe then stderr or /var/log/aptitude might contain something
enlightening.

What versions of apt-get are installed on david-laptop and
ross-desktop?

--
Alastair Irvine, Warpspace IT <http://www.warpspace.net/>
Business enquiries: 1300 881744 or guru at warpspace.net
[Linux Counter user #404151; OpenDocument Format Alliance member]