[plug] gigabit lan

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 9 09:20:05 WST 2008

Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kev" <kdownes at tpg.com.au>
> To: "PLUG" <plug at plug.org.au>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:05 PM
> Subject: [plug] gigabit lan
>> G'day all
>> I've just replaced 2 x 10/100 8 port switches (daisy chained) in our 
>> home p2p network with 1 x 16 port gigabit switch.  Most (but not all) 
>> of our home machines have gb nics on motherboard, including the 2 
>> right here on my desk.  One has a Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet 
>> Controller with the skge driver installed and the other has an Nvidia 
>> CK8S Ethernet Controller with the forcedeth driver installed.  These 
>> are the default drivers installed by Xandros.
>> I use only Samba on the network because there is a mix of Windoze and 
>> Linux machines at home and thus far (the last 3(ish) years) Samba has 
>> run flawlessly.  Even now Samba seems to be running OK.
>> The problem:  There appears to be no improvement in network speeds - 
>> no change at all.  Copying files between these 2 machines I have in 
>> front of me happens at about 3.6Mbytes/sec according to gkrellm.  I'm 
>> using good condition bought, moulded cat5E cables, each 2m long.  
>> Only the switch between them.
>> A complicating factor is that I'm really NOT very technically adept, 
>> particularly with Linux and particularly with networking issues.
>> Perhaps someone out there might be able to ask me the right questions 
>> to elicit the information required to help me speed things along a 
>> little.
>> Tia
>> Kev
> What I see as the begging question though, is what brand is the 
> switch? I've noted the same thing for a client using a cheap'ish 
> TP-Link 16 port GB switch..
> Do you have another gigabit switch you could borrow to try, even if 
> its just to connect the 2 machines in question? 

Hmmmm!  Just so happens to be a TP-Link 16 port GB switch.  The 
blinkenlights indicate that both nics are being recognized as gb.  I've 
installed iperf and will read up on soon - time to play is the 
constraint here.  In the meantime, I pulled all the connections, both 
ends, and gave them a good spray with some RF Contact Cleaner.  Now, 
copying a 3 x 4.5g DVD isos, the speed (according to gkrellm) is 
generally around 20Mbytes/sec, oscillating between about 11 and 25.

So, I am now getting better than 100Mbit, but not quite what I 
expected.  Are my expectations too high?  Tomorrow I think I'll have 
some play time, so I'll get mii-tool also and have a play and see what I 
can find out.

Thanks heaps for the ideas so far.  I'll report back my findings in case 
I find an answer to someone else's questions.


ps  The suggestion of using a crossover just came in.  I'll do that now 
and let you know.

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
They say a marble sized object collided with some gasses, and had
a massive explosion and the universe was born.
   - to believe this takes more faith than I have.

More information about the plug mailing list