[plug] Using openvpn with virtual machines

Nigel Duff nigel at dubh.id.au
Wed Jan 16 00:02:58 WST 2008

Hello all,

I have been asked to look at setting up an Openvpn network. I
have 2 clients (1=Ubuntu 6.06, 2=Ubuntu  7.04) talking to a
server (Ubuntu 7.04) fine. My problem is the last machine. It is
a virtual machine running Ubuntu 6.06.

My error is "Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun:
Permission denied (errno=13)".

Permissions on /dev/net/tun are;
crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 200 Jun 12  2006 /dev/net/tun

I have tried starting openvpn from the command line as root as
well as using /etc/init.d/openvpn.

My question is, am I having problems because it is a virtual
machine and the way these devices are handled is different?

Cheers

Nigel