[plug] Using openvpn with virtual machines

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Jan 16 09:40:38 WST 2008

Hello Nigel,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:02:58 +0900
Nigel Duff <nigel at dubh.id.au> wrote:

> I have been asked to look at setting up an Openvpn network. I
> have 2 clients (1=Ubuntu 6.06, 2=Ubuntu  7.04) talking to a
> server (Ubuntu 7.04) fine. My problem is the last machine. It is
> a virtual machine running Ubuntu 6.06.

Where does ubuntu 6.06 reside? On "Server Ubuntu 7.04" ? or on a
different machine?

I have played with openvpn on my laptop using openvpn to create a
Network between the Host(XP) and Guest(W2K).

On my setup I had to make sure that XP(host) was "connecting" to
127.0.0.1 for the Guest(W2K). This was using VirtualBox. The Guest then
connected via the VirtualBox standard network interface to its
"gateway" which was 10.0.2.2 on my configuration.

> My error is "Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun:
> Permission denied (errno=13)".
>
> Permissions on /dev/net/tun are;
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 200 Jun 12  2006 /dev/net/tun
>
> I have tried starting openvpn from the command line as root as
> well as using /etc/init.d/openvpn.
>
> My question is, am I having problems because it is a virtual
> machine and the way these devices are handled is different?

The purpose of this for me was so that I could bridge the tunnel and my
lan connection and bring the virtual machine onto the network as if it
was a "real machine".

I am not sure about the error above or if that is related, I am only
just about to start trying to get a bridged connection on my linux box
( I could not get the bridge module to compile )

Hope this helps, sorry if I have missed something :)

Regards,

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services