[plug] Just works wireless card.

doodli doodli at tadaust.org.au
Thu Jan 17 12:16:43 WST 2008

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008, doodli wrote:
>
> If you can put your cards into "adhoc" mode rather than infrastructure
> then no, you don't need to use a wireless router.
>
> (Trivia: normally, a wireless base station just acts as a beacon; once stations
> have associated to the base station then they talk directly between each
> other where possible without transmitting specifically to the base station.
> Wikipedia/Google "hidden node problem" for more information.)
>
> I'm not sure about security on adhoc mode though! I've only ever used the
> insecure one (not WPA, the easily-crackable one before that.) Someone else
> may know the answer to that one.
>

> Adrian

How far does the signal travel, as far as security is concerned. There
would be no other PC within several miles of us so hopefully security
will not be big problem. Mainly going to be used to stream A/V from
server to lounge room. Wife has ordered no more cables through walls or
up through floors either, so wireless seems the way  to go.
Seeya
    Wally