[plug] Just works wireless card.

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Jan 17 12:09:27 WST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008, doodli wrote:

> Looking at Computer shop website now, TP-Link WN550G , is this the one??
> Another question ,can 2 computers using wireless cards network directly
> to each other or do they need a wireless router?

If you can put your cards into "adhoc" mode rather than infrastructure
then no, you don't need to use a wireless router.

(Trivia: normally, a wireless base station just acts as a beacon; once stations
have associated to the base station then they talk directly between each
other where possible without transmitting specifically to the base station.
Wikipedia/Google "hidden node problem" for more information.)

I'm not sure about security on adhoc mode though! I've only ever used the
insecure one (not WPA, the easily-crackable one before that.) Someone else
may know the answer to that one.

Adrian