[plug] Just works wireless card.

doodli doodli at tadaust.org.au
Wed Jan 30 15:05:35 WST 2008

Got two of the recommended cards for wireless, TP Link WN651G and
installed them  and installed the madwifi driver and tools and then
hours of frustration and liberal amounts of swearing and other assorted
tantrum throwing later found out that it was simple if you know what is
wrong and not if you don't.
Wanted to run them in adhoc mode but seems madwifi can't change from
whatever mode it is booted in. IE: managed mode.
So even though yast thought it was setting the mode, and I thought it
was changing the mode it was not.
Go to this page and it shows how to change mode:
 http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/ChangingMode

Which is do this to change mode;
ifconfig ath0 down
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode [sta|adhoc|ap|monitor|wds|ahdemo]

 Now I'm pretty new at this stuff so I'm asking, is there anyway or
where to put this so It happens each time I reboot the systems
automatically rather than having to enter each time.
Also is it possible to join the wireless system to the Internet sharing
system which is a normal wired system, mind you this at 56k modem
blistering speed here. I have 3 systems connected by lan, one of these
systems I would like to host one the wireless card as well as a lan card
and the lounge room system be able to connect to this without a external
router. I hope this is making sense to some one?
One other thing, does the club library contain any of the mythtv OS?
Seeya
          Wally.