[plug] Where to put network start shell scipts?

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Thu Jan 31 18:59:17 WST 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008 16:46, doodli wrote:
> OK, wireless cards now working and bridging setup and all is go, but as
> mentioned earlier I have to destroy ath0 and recreate after starting to
> get the wireless card in to adhoc mode. So considering this and also the
> creation of the wireless to wired bridge needing to start where would
> the best place be to put the scripts?
> Pretty new to this so have no idea. Would have to be after original
> creation of ath0 but before NFS client starts so as NFS shares would be
> setup right.
> This is on a Opensuse 10.3 64 system
> Thanks for any help.

Put the script in /etc/rc.d. Take on of the existing scripts as an example and
put the code to set the interface up and to shut it down. Then Yast->System
System Services will list your command file, enable it there and configure
the runlevel under which it is to be started (if different to what you put in
the script).

In the script there are a few lines
# Provides:          xyzutility
# Required-Start:    $network $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop:     $network $remote_fs $syslog
that look like comment. They are comment but actually define what gets started
when. Have a look at /etc/rc.d/README, it explains a lot.
/etc/rc.d/rsyncd or /etc/rc.d/ksysguardd are good examples to build your own
script.

Peter