[plug] upgrading from 6.06 to 8.04 ubuntu

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Tue Jul 1 18:09:25 WST 2008

$quoted_author = "Keith Bawden" ;

> As for the distance from 6.x to 8.x I would have thought it was
> further than a change from 4.x to 5.x,

You have to understand the different release schedules to put this in
perspective.

Ubuntu does time based releases (every 6 months) and the version number is
YY.MM so 8.04 is the April 2008 release. 6.x to 8.x implies 2 years and 4
releases but says nothing as to how much of the underlying system actually
changed.

Redhat on the other hand does feature based releases where goals are set and
the new version is released "when it's ready". They use a version number
that is MAJOR.MINOR where they iterate the major number for big changes
(i.e. new glibc version) and the minor number for small updates.

You'll need to do some reading in regards to any specific upgrade being
contemplated as there are sometimes quite specific "gotchas" involved.

cheers
Marty