[plug] upgrading from 6.06 to 8.04 ubuntu

Rob Dunne rob.dunne at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 16:53:34 WST 2008

Hi List,

with a lot of effort,  it is now working!

1) dpkg --configure -a
bombed out with too many errors, so we started removing unconfigured
packages one by one. Hours later, we gave up, as it didn't seem to be
getting anywhere (I don't know, maybe it did some good).

2) we got the network card working and then

apt-get update -u
apt-get update  -f

but some packages were in such a bad state that they had to be installed
before they could be removed. However, they could not be installed....

so we used the "dpkg --force-all" option

3) it eventually worked!

I think Daniel was right, the error message

/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

showing /usr/local/libs being require by /usr/libs is the root cause of
the problem. I am still getting this message. I am just unmounting
/usr/local (separate partition) when doing any upgrading etc.

Bye
Rob