[plug] Problem with gFTP

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Jul 2 23:54:04 WST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Keith Bawden wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 13:29, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
>> PASV
>>
>> 227 Entering Passive Mode (203,113,228,30,224,10).
>> :
>
> Try an "active" (as opposed to passive) connection and see if you have any joy.
>
>> When I used the command line FTP utility, it worked, without any problems
>> (apart from the inconvenience).
>
> Check the config options of this tool (turning up the logging level
> may help to see what is happening). Then if possible make sure gFTP is
> configured with the same options.
>
> As for the inconvenience I usually use lftp, and find the command line
> much less inconvienient than the GUI. Horses for courses :-) In
> particular lftp is a snap to learn if you are already comfortable with
> commands like ls, cd and so on.
>
> Regards, Keith

I had been advised to turn off the passive mode in gftp.

When doing a mouseover of the check box for "Passive file transfer", a
dialogue box was displayed, that included in the text displayed, "If you
are behind a firewall, you will need to enable this.".

We have a LAN, which goes through a firewall/gateway to access the
Internet.

I am quite sure that, previously, the displayed reporting that occurs
within gftp, showed that passive file transfer was used when I
previously used gftp to succesfully do FTP operations on my web sites.

I do not know how to check this, as I am not aware of whether gftp
retains a history of the transaction reporting of previous ftp
operations, and, if it does retain such a history, I do not know how to
retrieve it.

When I did "man ftp", and looked at the options, and then used "ftp -v"
to connect with one of my web sites, and then ran the command status,
the response did not include indication of whether active or passive,
file transfer was set.

What concerns me about this, is that, until recently, I had been able to
use gftp, without any (remembered) problems in using gftp; and I had
always used only the default configuration settings in gftp (from
memory).

I am aware of only two significant recent changes; the first is that we
switched the ISP that provides access to the Internet, and, the second
is that we have now gone from ADSL1 to ADSL2 access to the Internet.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."