[plug] Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 install

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 00:59:24 WST 2008

I've been trying all evening to install 8.04 on an AMD 64 3500+
machine. It's currently running 6.10 and I am trying to do a clean
install.
No matter how I boot it, with the desktop or the alternative CD, or
with the desktop or alternative "iso" from hard drive, no matter what,
it freezes ether while loading the kernel, or when the kernel is
loaded 100%. I never get past that point....
BUT, the i386 installer is booting fine off my USB hard drive. Huh? So
I thought for a moment, maybe I had forgotten what was under the hood,
having not done any work with this box physically for 2 years (I'm
back in Perth this week. Then heading off again).

Any suggestions to getting it to install then? Other than settling for
a i386 install.

System info from current 6.10 follows.

Thanks

Tim

$ uname -a
Linux myoxa 2.6.17-10-server #2 SMP Tue Dec 5 21:17:26 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ lsb_release -d
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 15
model		: 47
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 2200.000
cache size	: 512 KB
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm
bogomips	: 4405.82
TLB size	: 1024 4K pages
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

--
Timothy White - Around Africa
Linux Counter user #273956