[plug] Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 install

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jul 3 01:51:59 WST 2008

On 3 Jul 2008 at 0:59, Tim wrote:

> I've been trying all evening to install 8.04 on an AMD 64 3500+
> machine. It's currently running 6.10 and I am trying to do a clean
> install.
> No matter how I boot it, with the desktop or the alternative CD, or
> with the desktop or alternative "iso" from hard drive, no matter what,
it
> freezes ether while loading the kernel, or when the kernel is loaded
100%.
> I never get past that point.... BUT, the i386 installer is booting fine
> off my USB hard drive. Huh? So I thought for a moment, maybe I had
> forgotten what was under the hood, having not done any work with this
box
> physically for 2 years (I'm back in Perth this week. Then heading off
> again).
>
> Any suggestions to getting it to install then? Other than settling for
> i386 install.

Sounds like similar problems I had with my install of Fedora on my AMD X2
64

See below the contents of my grub.conf file

default=3
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.17-88.fc7)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.17-88.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet noapic irgpol=off acpi=off
	initrd /initrd-2.6.23.17-88.fc7.img
title Fedora (2.6.21-7.fc7xen)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /xen.gz-2.6.21-7.fc7
	module /vmlinuz-2.6.21-7.fc7xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet noapic irgpol=off acpi=off
	module /initrd-2.6.21-7.fc7xen.img
title Fedora (2.6.23.15-80.fc7)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet noapic irgpol=off acpi=off
	initrd /initrd-2.6.23.15-80.fc7.img
title _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1

Notice the arguments passed to the kernel at boot time :

noapic irgpol=off acpi=off

I also needed to pass the same arguments to the kernel when booting from
the install DVD.

There was another argument I have used in the past - but I cannot
remember it ATM.

HTH

Regards Arie