[plug] how to add a package cache for debian/ubuntu

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 22:24:03 WST 2008

For .deb files that you have lying around, and large "caches" of
files. Install dpkg-scanpackages and it can create a Packages file for
you,then you just point apt at the director with the "deb file" thing
in sources.list.

Works a treat for carrying around lots of security updates to
different disconnected laptop users.

Tim

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Mike Holland <michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> good morning, I was wondering:
> How do you arrange for apt-get to look in a local directory for .deb files,
> to reduce downloads?
>  Two examples:
> - updating when another machine on the LAN has already updated, and has most
> of the /deb files we need in its /var/cache/apt/archives
> - I want to install mythbuntu-desktop, and have an ISO of the mythbuntu
> distro.
>
> I found that just copying all the .debs from one machine to another's
> /var/cache/apt/archives seems to work, but whats the proper way?

Timothy White - Around Africa
Linux Counter user #273956