[plug] uploading large files

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 18:23:45 WST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 07:10 +0800, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> Got a client that wants to send me a large file (80MB) from the US and her
> ISP has restriction on file sizes that can be e-mailed as attachments.  I
> was thinking along the line of one of the free upload file sharing sites,
> but do not want to trust the  file to that.  I also could have her send it
> to one of my servers via ftp, but have not set that up due to security
> reasons.  I would imagine it would be better to do the former and then
> turn the service off.
> Are there any other choices?  She is sending a file from a Mac Notebook.

I know this is getting a bit old, but:
Having ruled out ftp transfer, file upload to user's site and other
options, have you considered file 'splitting' apps? When I had this
problem running windoze95 years ago, I found an app that would slice a
file into definable-sized parts that I sent by separate emails. The app
included a 'stitching' file that allowed correct reassembly of all
parts. Since it was available for windoze there maybe one for mac. Just
a thought.

Gavin