[plug] Mandriva Free Spring 2008

Kev kdownes at bbnet.com.au
Mon Jun 2 08:17:46 WST 2008

Yes, my sentiments exactly.  I don't recall who it was, but some
(in)famous yank polly once said, "It's amazing how absence of choice
clears the mind."  I didn't realise there was another one of us using
Xandros.

Kev

Jim Householder wrote:
> I quite agree.  Too much choice can be bad.  I've lost track of the
> number of hours (weeks?, months?) spent dithering over nearly equal
> choices...
>
> I dabbled a bit with GNU/Linux for several years, but did not
> seriously use it until I found Xandros.  While Debian based, it got me
> started.
>
> Jim
>
> Paul Antoine wrote:
>> My experience with people is that simplicity is indeed the reduction
>> of choices hit on introduction to something new.  It would appear to
>> be human nature to be overwhelmed easily by a great deal of choice.
>> Indeed recent research points to wide choice as a major psychological
>> stressor of the modern world.
>>
>> I feel Ubuntu does a very reasonable job of selecting a useful set of
>> initial choices for those at whom it is primarily aimed: the average
>> person switching from a zero-choice windows environment or not used
>> to installing an operating system.
>>
>> Ubuntu is *not* aimed at the literate and advanced user though as one
>> such user I find it very comfortable to work with.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Gavin Chester wrote:

>>> <unintended flamebait>
>>> But you can't condemn it for that since isn't that also what the
>>> over-popular ubuntu has been doing since day one? That's one big reason
>>> I have only dabbled with ubuntu, never making it my chosen distro. IOW,
>>> it's not the first and only distro to think simplicity resides with
>>> reduced choice (at least until the user understands how to add packages
>>> with this thing called a 'package manager')
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Gavin

Kev Downes
kdownes at bbnet.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
There is sufficient light for those who desire to see,
and there is sufficient darkness for those of a contrary disposition.
        - Blaise Pascal, Pensees 149