[plug] Mandriva Free Spring 2008

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Mon Jun 2 09:13:24 WST 2008

And I. That makes three!

Mark

On 2/06/2008 at 8:17 AM Kev wrote:

:>Yes, my sentiments exactly.  I don't recall who it was, but some
:>(in)famous yank polly once said, "It's amazing how absence of choice
:>clears the mind."  I didn't realise there was another one of us using
:>Xandros.
:>
:>Kev
:>
:>
:>
:>Jim Householder wrote:
:>> I quite agree.  Too much choice can be bad.  I've lost track of the
:>> number of hours (weeks?, months?) spent dithering over nearly equal
:>> choices...
:>>
:>> I dabbled a bit with GNU/Linux for several years, but did not
:>> seriously use it until I found Xandros.  While Debian based, it got me
:>> started.
:>>
:>> Jim
:>>
:>> Paul Antoine wrote:
:>>> My experience with people is that simplicity is indeed the reduction
:>>> of choices hit on introduction to something new.  It would appear to
:>>> be human nature to be overwhelmed easily by a great deal of choice.
:>>> Indeed recent research points to wide choice as a major psychological
:>>> stressor of the modern world.
:>>>
:>>> I feel Ubuntu does a very reasonable job of selecting a useful set of
:>>> initial choices for those at whom it is primarily aimed: the average
:>>> person switching from a zero-choice windows environment or not used
:>>> to installing an operating system.
:>>>
:>>> Ubuntu is *not* aimed at the literate and advanced user though as one
:>>> such user I find it very comfortable to work with.
:>>>
:>>> Paul
:>>>