[plug] NAS sytems for SOHO

Adam Ashley aashley at adamashley.name
Tue Jun 3 11:52:48 WST 2008

I have a Synology Disk Station at home. Bit more expensive than some
of the others, they are however much more open. To the point of making
a patch available on their site to enable Telnet or SSH access to the
device, including full root access. The latest firmware includes an
NFS server, however with the SSH patch and root access you can install
anything that runs on a ppc linux distro.

I've had lots of trouble with the D-Link NAS gear and stay well away
from it, admittedly I havent tried any of their recent systems so I
can't say much about them.

Adam Ashley