[plug] monitor flashes when booting

Peter Taekema demo9 at gswd.com
Fri Jun 6 20:49:36 WST 2008

Hi Jon,

I'm not a Suse user (more of a Debian/Ubuntu guy) but I have faced
similar issues when moving machines around....

It's basically a mater of finding the X config file (in Debian this is
found under /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) and then changing the 'Modes' line
under the "Screen" Section to a lower resolution.

As SUSE/RH tend to have the config files in different locations to
Debian, you will have to find them on your system (however, a brief
google search seems to indicate the file should be in the location
indicated above).

Your 'screen' settings are probably trying to run the monitor out of
range, so change the Modes to something sane for a 15" monitor (1024x768
or even 800x600), so it looks something like this:

---- snip -----

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Failsafe Device"
        Monitor         "Failsafe Monitor"
        Defaultdepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
                Modes    "1024x768 at 60"   "800x600 at 60"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

This should get you going.  Once you have X up, you can fine tune with
the X configuration tool.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter