[plug] via hardware

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 12 11:43:14 WST 2008

Thanks Jon.  I usually use older hardware but this is one system where I
am going to go new/green if I can as it runs 24/7 and when it goes out
it has dire effects.  VoIP, email, tunnels, apache, squid etc - basicly
all our communications to say nothing of support functions like dns,
dhcp, backups, databases running on it.  None are high load but
reliability is important.

I have had two old IBM 3Ghz Thinkcenters for this and they have failed
about 6 months apart (looks like capacitor problems).  The first time I
just grabbed another that wasnt being used and threw it in - this time
I'll do it properly. For now, I put the harddrive in a PXE diskless
mythbox frontend I have in a wooden box (18mm chip board really quites
them down).  Amazingly once I got the harddrive recognised, it just
booted up.  A bit of playing with udev to recognise the network card as
eth0 so the vlans work again and everybody is happy - except maybe the
wife about the mess in the bedroom where it lives!

BillK

as On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:25 +0800, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> Bill,
> If you want to use some used systems, I have quite a few PC's just sitting
> collecting dust until I decide what to do with them.  They are of P4 2.4
> and better I believe with CPU, motherboard, memory, floppy disk, cdrom,
> etc for cheap (make a offer). Even have the 15" CRT monitor I'll throw in
> for free.
>
> Jon
> On Thu, June 12, 2008 11:17, Kev wrote:
> > Bill,
> >
> > have a look on the BargainBoard (http://bargainboard.navada.com.au/).
> > It's local, free and easy to use.  There're heaps of old and new(ish)
> > systems available which would suit your purpose very well.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > William Kenworthy wrote:
> >> Its looking like I will have to go this way anyway - there doesnt seem
> >> to a local supplier (or one, but he's on holiday and shut the business
> >> for the period - starting yesterday!)
> > --
> > Kev Downes
> > kdownes at bbnet.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
> > We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
> > So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
> > There are 10 types of people ...
> >    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!

> Jon L. Miller, MCNE CNS CCNA
> MMT Networks Pty Ltd
> East Perth, WA 6004
> WA, Australia