[plug] Decent Video Editing Software for Linux

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 15 11:49:35 WST 2008

Mike Holland <michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:

>So noone knows an editor that works for digital TV recordings?
>  (PS or TS mpeg2)
>I just want to top-n-tail a program, and maybe cut out the ads.

>-openmovieeditor: undocumented, evil GUI (which widget set??) When I
>finally figured out how to open a file (drag'n'drop form the list) it
>just crashes.

>- avidemux: (great for XviD) does very slow index on open. Corrupts
>video and looses audio.

>- cinelerra - loaded in ubuntu, but does not respond to mouse or
>keyboard after closing tip-of-the-day. Looks too complicated.

Known bug. Run cinelerra via gdb. It appears that cinelerra doesn't
initially load some stuff that it should; and gdb pre-load them for
itself, I gather.

There are some command-line tools but you need to specify frames for
edit points; which are difficult to ascertain by other means.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The urge to save humanity is almost
 X   against HTML mail     | always a false front for the urge to
/ \  and postings          | rule. -- H.L. Mencken