[plug] On the subject of USB sticks

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 16 16:30:59 WST 2008

"Tomasz Grzegurzko" <tomasz89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM, David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:
>> I have one that refuses to mount with the error message:
>>
>>   mount_point cannot contain the following characters:
>>   newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR(usually /)
>>
>> I know (as has been pointed out) that they're cheap, but
>> it would be interesting to find out what's happening here.
>> Note that all other keys in my possession mount ok...

>I think with automounting now available in linux systems, they call
>the mount point of the device you've plugged in based on the device
>you're trying to mount. So if I have a "USBDISK" then I'll often get a
>mount point under /media called /media/USBDISK.

>My guess is your device has a ' ' or a '/' or a '\n' in this
>description, and that's why it's not mounting.

>You can try to mount it yourself by device node (/dev/sdb perhaps)
>under some fixed no-funny-characters mount point like so:
># mkdir /tmp/mountpoint && sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/mountpoint

You can try re-labelling/-naming the mountable partition of the device.

vol_id(8) is supposed to produce a "safe" pathname (as --label).
Maybe it's a bug to allow a newline in this case.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The urge to save humanity is almost
 X   against HTML mail     | always a false front for the urge to
/ \  and postings          | rule. -- H.L. Mencken