[plug] On the subject of USB sticks - closure

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Wed Jun 18 20:49:26 WST 2008

Bernd Felsche wrote:
> "Tomasz Grzegurzko" <tomasz89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM, David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I have one that refuses to mount with the error message:
>>>
>>>   mount_point cannot contain the following characters:
>>>   newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR(usually /)
>>>
>>> I know (as has been pointed out) that they're cheap, but
>>> it would be interesting to find out what's happening here.
>>> Note that all other keys in my possession mount ok...
>>>
>> I think with automounting now available in linux systems, they call
>> the mount point of the device you've plugged in based on the device
>> you're trying to mount. So if I have a "USBDISK" then I'll often get a
>> mount point under /media called /media/USBDISK.
>>
>> My guess is your device has a ' ' or a '/' or a '\n' in this
>> description, and that's why it's not mounting.
  You can try to mount it yourself by device node (/dev/sdb perhaps)
>> under some fixed no-funny-characters mount point like so:
>> # mkdir /tmp/mountpoint && sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/mountpoint
>>

> You can try re-labelling/-naming the mountable partition of the device.
>
> vol_id(8) is supposed to produce a "safe" pathname (as --label).
> Maybe it's a bug to allow a newline in this case.

Thank you Tomasz Mike and Bernd, I've wasted enough of your time,
and mine also. I've given up after renaming the thing under XP with
the same negative result. Too much effort for a ten dollar 1G USB key.

Thank you all again, and regards.
Davbe artnall