[plug] [plug-ctte] Linux enthusiasm - too good to be true?

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 19:16:43 WST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: J & M Kampert <kajoma at westnet.com.au>
Date: Jun 17, 2008 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [plug] [plug-ctte] Linux enthusiasm - too good to be true?
To: Patrick Coleman <blinken at gmail.com>

 To Patrick and Kev;

 THANKS but no thanks; at the third try Simply Mepis 6.5.02 did
install and work BUT when I played with storing and retrieving files
by means of a USB key, I found trouble. Lost the files after they
showd up on the Linux system, lost them from the USB Key as well; not
a good experience for using the old box as a data store whilst
learning Linux!

 As the Ubuntu based Mepis system seems to assume that the system is
always on the internet, it seems most of the helpfiles are on the
Internet, but as my study isn't a telephone exhange there is only one
machine on the net: the new one.

 At present I am re-installing Windows XP to use the old box as a
repository for back-up files, if that fails it's off to the dump with
it.

 I still don't like MS Windows Vista, but better the devil you know a
little bit than the devil that bites and you don't know.

 I've had my time programming Basic, Cobol various SQL's and Query
languages, plus assorted JCL's on HP- NCR -Datapoint and Data General
systems, don't want to go there again. I think Linux is for people who
like to play with the system, similar to the petrol heads who don't
mind driving a car without synchromesh. Not for me.....

 Thanks for your emails good luck and goodbye.

 John Kampert

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting