[plug] Ubuntu woes

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 19 10:24:41 WST 2008

Nothing out of the ordinary in the kern.log, messages, syslog,
daemon.log, or the usual suspects in /var/log.

All disks are in a hardware RAID - 8-port adaptec SATA-II raid card, 2
discs in RAID-1 and 6 in RAID-5.  The two RAID-1 drives are 12 months or
so old, the other 6 are all new.  My next plan is to find the afatools
kit from Adaptec and run the afacli command to check the SMART status of
the discs and then scrub (check) the arrays.

What is confusing is some tasks are quite quick and others really slow.
Unpacking a tgz archive was quick,  aptitude safe-upgrade takes a long
time to do steps like read state information, build the tag database,
etc. but the download was quick, then it took even longer to do the
post-installation steps.

Any other insights would be welcome.

Regards,
Steve