[plug] Ubuntu woes

Beng Tan bengtan1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:53:18 WST 2008

Hi,

Can you easily reproduce the problem? And can you easily reproduce the
problem with a minimal setup? ie. can you reproduce the problem by
always running a specific command from the cli?

Perhaps if you can find a few ways to reproduce the problem, and try
to find a common pattern to them?

Beng

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Steve Baker <steve at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Nothing out of the ordinary in the kern.log, messages, syslog, daemon.log,
> or the usual suspects in /var/log.
>
> All disks are in a hardware RAID - 8-port adaptec SATA-II raid card, 2 discs
> in RAID-1 and 6 in RAID-5.  The two RAID-1 drives are 12 months or so old,
> the other 6 are all new.  My next plan is to find the afatools kit from
> Adaptec and run the afacli command to check the SMART status of the discs
> and then scrub (check) the arrays.
>
> What is confusing is some tasks are quite quick and others really slow.
>  Unpacking a tgz archive was quick,  aptitude safe-upgrade takes a long time
> to do steps like read state information, build the tag database, etc. but
> the download was quick, then it took even longer to do the post-installation
> steps.
>
> Any other insights would be welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>

> Paul Antoine wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Are there any messages being generated in the kernel or syslog's? Are all
>> the disks in a hardware RAID array?
>>
>> I have been working on an 8TB server for a client and have experienced a
>> similar issue though in my case some of the (brand new!) disks were
>> generating i/o errors.
>>
>> In any case I'd be happy to help if I can.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Steve Baker wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Plug,
>>>
>>> I have a weird problem, I'm hoping someone can help.
>>>
>>> I have a PC with 4GB RAM and a quad core CPU, with Intel 945 graphics and
>>> lots of discs on an Adaptec SATA RAID card.  I also have a Dell Latitude
>>> D820 laptop with 4GB and dual core CPU and nvidia graphics chipset.
>>>
>>> Both systems run Ubuntu 8.04.  The laptop is perfectly fine - runs
>>> everything really well, fast, full compiz effects, etc. etc.  The PC is
>>> crap.  It's very very slow to boot, running aptitude safe-upgrade can take
>>> yonks, particularly if there is a kernel update and it has to run
>>> update-initrd.
>>> Disk i/o *seems* to be OK; I un-tarred a tgz file approx 300Mb and it
>>> unpacked quite quickly.  Network throughput seems to be normal.  I haven't
>>> run any CPU benchmarks, don't know what would give me any useful results.
>>>
>>> When I log in, it can take 30secs or more after accepting the password
>>> before I get the $ prompt.  (This is NOT the well-known ssh reverse lookup
>>> timeout problem).  Sometimes when running a command (especially with a
>>> larger on-disk program size, eg. vi) it takes a few seconds to load the
>>> program, more than I would expect.
>>>
>>> Those are the main symptoms, if anyone has any clues I can send relevant
>>> config info upon request.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Steve