[plug] Ubuntu woes

Dion tenzero at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 20 10:32:39 WST 2008

Martin Barry wrote:
> $quoted_author = "Steve Baker" ;
>
>> I would think that the really slow boot (took nearly 20mins tonight when
>> I restarted with upgraded kernel) is a key symptom.
>>

> It may be a dumb question, but surely you noticed what took an inordinately
>

> cheerslong time to complete during the boot process?
> Marty
If the system is really slow to boot, install bootchart from the ubuntu
repos.

Bootchart will place a png file in /var/log/bootchart every time your
boot the machine.
The bootchart image will show total boot time and duration for each
service to start.
This may help you isolate key areas that are slow and better still, help
you see if any changes really help.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers
Dion.

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte