[plug] perl Net::IMAP usage

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jun 30 12:07:09 WST 2008

Adrian Woodley <Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Adrian Woodley <Adrian at ScreamingRoot.org> writes:
>>
>>> Has anyone on list successfully used perl's Net::IMAP module?
>>
>> Net::IMAP, from the NetxAP distribution, and not Net::IMAP::Simple,
>> right?  I have done a little with it, but...

[...]

>> Anyway, tell us more about your problem and someone may be able to
>> help y'all out.
>
> I'm attempting to write a testing suite for our mail farm, in
> particular our Ironport cluster. The basic testing will be to send off
> a heap of email to test accounts of varying types and use IMAP to see
> if they've been delivered.

Are you sure this wouldn't be better handled with Nagios, and one of the
range of plugins that test sending email and verification that it has
been received?

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F1510.html;d=1
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F1807.html;d=1
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F1856.html;d=1

Alternately, you could simply call those Nagios plugins directly to
perform your checking.

> The reason I want to use the Net::IMAP module is its access to the
> IMAP search function. The idea being to send an email with a unique
> subject (date-time + MD5 sum or similar) and then be able to search
> for it in the mailbox.
>
> From what I've seen, Net::IMAP::Simple doesn't have access to the IMAP
> search function, requiring a "manual" (and possibly inefficient)
> search.

Sure.  Well, that tells us the goal of your project.  So ...

What is the trouble you are having?  Can you log in successfully?
Just having trouble understanding the framework?

Regards,
        Daniel