[plug] Overly mobile mail solution

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Mar 3 21:58:19 WST 2008

Paul Antoine wrote:
> 50 accounts!! What the hell were you thinking... hehe. I've not used
> Cyrus IMAP for replication but have a friend who has so I'll ask and
> forward his advice.

Nah, 8 accounts but about 47 mailing lists..

> Offline access to email is always a pain in the neck but so often also
> very useful so I like your suggested solution!  Might have to try it
> myself :-)

I'm going to set up a spare box / spare laptop on the weekend and try it out kinda live so I'll see
how it goes.. nothing like jumping in with both feet. I figure I can configure fetchmail to pull
down twice as often as my laptop polls and just set it up to always leave mail on server, leaving my
laptop to download/delete. It won't be a full-on live test, but should net me about 700 mails a day
to play with. Nice having spare machinery lying around to beat on!

I just need my mail stored local on my laptop as I'm offline as often as I'm on line, and being
stuck in a boring meeting with no connectivity is a great time to catch up on my mail..

> Anyway, I'll get back to you and the list with anything I find from my
> esteemed friend who's just gone through server replication hell :-)

I'd appreciate that. I'll also let you know the results of my testing in the next week.

Brad