[plug] Overly mobile mail solution

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 3 22:08:26 WST 2008

look into zebedee rather than ssh - they are not the same!  My
experience with using ssh port tunnelling on flakey links mirrors
openvpn - zebedee is a lot better.  ssh tunneling is ok on good digital
links - zebedee was originally designed to reliably tunnel VNC over poor
quality dialup with encryption and compression - which sounds more like
what you are dealing with.

BillK

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 16:54 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
>
> > However, I think the major problem is openvpn just doesnt like marginal
> > links.  My recent experience in Thailand (the australia-thai data
> > connection is a single, flakey dial up modem - well that was how it
> > looked :) and openvpn using Evolution was ... painful.  It worked sort
> > of for ssh and some other things (like programming mythtv), but email
> > was very hit&miss.
>
> Interesting..
>
> I've run openvpn in parallel with ssh tunneling here for the last couple of weeks to test just that
> theory (as I used to exclusively ssh tunnel up until about a year ago) and I've found it to be
> pretty much on a par reliability wise.. different networks / different conditions I guess..
>
> I probably push it a bit far sometimes, as all of my pop3 / SMTP links are tunneled over ssh via a
> local shell on all machines I get mail from so I never expose my password plaintext.. this does
> contribute to the latency a small amount, but not really noticeably (in fact it seems a little more
> reliable tunneled over ssh).
>
> Thanks for the ideas, I'll check out some of the proxies and see what turns up.
>
> Brad
Home in Perth!