[plug] SUSE 10.3 HANGS hard - or Windows-like behaviour from Linux ....

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Mar 15 23:00:33 WST 2008

Hi guys,

I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 on my machine and I have been getting
problems. The whole machine hangs such that I cannot ping it from
elsewhere and ALT + CTRL + Fx doesn't do anything.

It is dead!! I'd quote the Monty Python sketch of the parrot, but I'm
sure you know it.

Basically soon after a boot, it just hangs - I thought it was Firefox,
but, not restarting FF doesn't stop the hangs, it does delay them.
Starting up and signing on to Evolution also causes the same hang, but
today I went away for at least 5 hours and got back and my machine was
hung.

Anybody have any ideas how to
     1. decide which app is doing it
     2. why the kernel seems to hang
     3. WTF is going on ....

I was considering changing to Kubuntu if SUSE 11 wasn't way marvellous,
but unless I get some ideas, it's going to be a Mint/Kubuntu upgrade
over the weekend.

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629