[plug] SUSE 10.3 HANGS hard - or Windows-like behaviour from Linux ....

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 00:28:48 WST 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>  I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 on my machine and I have been getting
>  problems. The whole machine hangs such that I cannot ping it from
>  elsewhere and ALT + CTRL + Fx doesn't do anything.

When this happens, do your Num + Caps + Scroll lock lights on your
keyboard all flash? If this is the case, it means you're getting a
kernel panic, which you can hopefully determine the cause of.

You may also want to eliminate memory errors as the cause (probably
the most common cause of lockups) by running memtest86, which should
be available on most OS install CDs.  Ubuntu definately has it, I'd be
surprised if OpenSUSE didn't. memtest86 will write data to your memory
and read it back to attempt to detect any problems.

If this picks up problems you should be able to work out which module
has failed and get it replaced.

Cheers,

Patrick

--