[plug] SUSE 10.3 HANGS hard - or Windows-like behaviour from Linux ....

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 17 08:28:54 WST 2008

Hi Richard,

I had almost identical symptoms when attempting to install Ubuntu 7.10
on an older PC.  It's been running 6.10 for yonks with no problems.
Installed 7.10, installation went fine, but when I tried to download the
post-install updates it locked up.  Reboot, try again, lockup.

Seemed like I could do various tasks, but as soon as there was any
significant network traffic, it would freeze.  Sometimes there didn't
have to be much traffic, even just sitting there doing nothing it would
still lock up after a while (although this took longer).  Checking
various forums didn't yield any answers although there were a few
suggestions, such as turning off X - which delayed the lockup but didn't
prevent it.  I ended up rolling back to 6.10.

I have other (more recent) systems running 7.10 with no problems, so I
assume that it is something to do with incompatibilities with my
hardware and the most recent kernel.  Sorry I don't have an answer for
you here...

Regards,
Steve