[plug] SUSE 10.3 HANGS hard - or Windows-like behaviour from Linux ....

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Sun Mar 16 22:45:49 WST 2008

On Saturday 15 March 2008 23:00, Richard Meyer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 on my machine and I have been getting
> problems. The whole machine hangs such that I cannot ping it from
> elsewhere and ALT + CTRL + Fx doesn't do anything.
>

> It is dead!! I'd quote the Monty Python sketch of the parrot, but I'm
> sure you know it.
>

> Basically soon after a boot, it just hangs - I thought it was Firefox,
> but, not restarting FF doesn't stop the hangs, it does delay them.
> Starting up and signing on to Evolution also causes the same hang, but
> today I went away for at least 5 hours and got back and my machine was
> hung.
>

> Anybody have any ideas how to
>      1. decide which app is doing it
>      2. why the kernel seems to hang
>      3. WTF is going on ....

What do you mean by its dead soon after boot? Is soon after boot before any
login prompt appears?

Are you presented with a graphical screen (bbotsplash) when booting? if yes,
pressing esc will show what is going on.

Did you try enter s or 1 for single user mode at the boot prompt when starting
up?

What happens when in runlevel 3 and logging in as yourself? does it hang too?

I just had fun with OpenSuSE 10.3 over the weekend. Symptoms were similar to
yours, bootup ok, approx 2 Minutes after login the system came to a grinding
halt.

The cause was a network card in conjunction with a remote nfs share mounted
with hard option. The network connection stopped and the system was waiting
for the nfs share to come up again. Changing the network card helped in my
case.

Peter