[plug] getting squid use a ssh tunnel

Mary Wright mary.wright2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:30:30 WST 2008

On 19/03/2008, at 10:03 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Well, the ssh tunnel gives you a single end-point, so you need to run
> a proxy at the other end.

actually I do have a proxy at the other end

> Then point squid at the local end of the ssh tunnel, have the other
> end
> connect to a remote squid. Configure the local squid to use the ssh
> tunnel
> (which effectively uses the other proxy!) as a parent (cache_peer).

I just am unsure at how (what) to put that into the squid.conf

The issue is that the tunnel is working when I setup it up over the
intranet
but when I try the system remotely I get time outs .I believe the
problem is that the web browser floods the tunnel with several request
and because of latency in processing the request
I saw mentioned somewhere that if you setup a proxy locally then have
is cascade through the tunnel that it should fix the errors but they
didn't say how to actually do it and I can't see anything any where on
how to setup a "cascading proxy" that's what i have been looking for

again thanx for any ideas or info it is very muchly appreciated

Regards Mary