[plug] home cat5 issues

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:15:01 WST 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 14:46 +0900, Hagar Horrible wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Gavin Chester wrote:
-snip-

> A simple diagram of my modified star
> > topology may help:
> >
> > X-------O---------O------O------X
> > 	|			|
> > 	|			|
> > 	PC			Router
> >
> > where each 'O' is a keystone socket and 'X' is crimped cable connector
> > on a single cat5e cable placed loose on the floor. All connections and
> > sockets test as good, but only X-X works, any combination of X-O or O-O
> > fails. WHY? Any ideas welcome. BTW: I have used two brand of keystone
> > socket, in case that crossed your mind.

> 1) Are you using only 1 cable per computer?

Yes, I have laid five parallel cat5e cables - one for each
PC/router/printer, but each cable is configured as above with multiple
drop offs to different points/rooms. Each will only serve one appliance
at a time - the extra drop-off points jsut give flexibility as to where
the appliance is placed on the cable.

> 2) What was the pin/color combination for each plug?

Done to T568A specs.

> 3) was the cable single core ( for fixed wireing )
> or twisted (core for more mobile solutions)?

Single core cat5e

> 4) is your router a hub or a switch and what
> about the nic in the computers ?

Important questions, but I don't think relevant to my issue which
revolves around connecting to keystone sockets as opposed to crimp
end-connectors. See other follow up post for info.

gavin