[plug] Lan network

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Mar 20 09:57:11 WST 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Innis Cunningham wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:40:43 +0900
>> From: bret at busby.net
>> To: plug at plug.org.au
>> Subject: Re: [plug] Lan network

>>> Quick question; what does it mean to "talk to one another"?
>>> Are we talking ping, file sharing?
>>> I'd doubt your router is stopping any communications between the two.
>>>
>>> Tomasz
>>>

>> I am wondering whether Innis has the Ubuntu boxes, each included in the
>> other's /etc/host file.
> Thanks Bret
> I think the answer to that is no.Seeing how I have never used that file before.
> I may have used the net for years but I have never had to set up a lan
>>
>> Sometimes it is the simplest things, that make the difference.
> I am sure that is 100%correct and with what you and Tomasz have told me
> I hope I can get it sorted.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>
> Cheers
> Innis

Hello, Innis.

The correct name for the file (typo above), is /etc/hosts .

You need to log in as root (I just use su - root , in a terminal/console
window) and, running cat /etc/hosts should show you the contents of that
file.

While you can run the cat command, as an ordinary user, I think that,
to edit the file, using vi or whatever, you need to be logged in as
root.

The format of entries in that file, is fairly simple and you should be
able to see it from the existing entries in the file; each line (for the
connected nodes of the LAN) is of the fomat
<IP address> <node computer name . domain name> <node computer name>
with a space or a tab space separating each of the three items.

I think that is how the format would b described, to the lines that
describe the LAN nodes.

If I am wrong, I hope that others will correct me.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."