[plug] Error 691 in Linux but not in Windows?

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:06:04 WST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Andrew Furey <andrew.furey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have another curly one for you... :)
>
>  I have a VPN link to a remote (customer) site, with standard PPTP with
>  MPPE (as far as I can tell). It has a username and password of simple
>  alphanumerics (no spaces, punctuation, etc).
>
>  When I dial the link from my XP workstation, I connect successfully.
>  However, when dialling from our common server which handles links for
>  the office (Debian sarge with MPPE patching), it fails with error 691
>  (username or password invalid on the domain).
>
>  There is no domain to specify that I know of (nothing is specified on
>  the Windows side). I've attached the debug output from the Linux box.
>
>  I've been going back and forth with the IT guys at their end but I'm
>  not sure how knowledgeable they are - they keep saying "it works in
>  our testing" and haven't even checked the logs there :(
>
>  Any ideas?
>
>  Andrew
>
>  --
>  Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
>  reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
>  Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
>  enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
>                           -- Bill Garrett

This line looks interesting:
anon log[decaps_gre:pptp_gre.c:404]: buffering packet 7 (expecting 6,
lost or reordered)

Nor does LCP EchoRep ever lead to anything good either, for that matter..

What is your procedure with patching with MPPE? Did you use kernel
MPPE or PPP based MPPE? The other thing is Debian Sarge is dead now,
you do know that right? :)

I'd try it off a newer system off the bat (try booting a Live CD or
something) as it could be something that's already addressed..

Tomasz