[plug] OS free laptops?

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 10:08:49 WST 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Harry McNally <
harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Tomasz
>
> > If you read the M$ agreement, if you do not agree, then you must
> > return it to your OEM for a refund. You can get anything basically
> > then call up and tell Dell, HP whoever you don't agree to the terms,
> > and score yourself some cash. If you do that also for the bundled
> > products (Works and who knows what else!) there's more capability
> > right there to get money too!
>
> Has anyone on the list had any recent experience with this ?
>
> Most people I see with new laptops explain they have them dual-boot for
> games.
> Is that the most common approach ?
>
> I'd like to know of people who have successfully obtained a refund, from
> whom,
> for what, and for how much.
>
> Cybersource made representations to the ACCC in 2005 and I've just asked
> Cybersource what the outcome of that complaint was.
>
> Their press release:
> http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/microsoft_accc.html
>
> All the best
> Harry
>
> ps I've just read your reply that you were successful with a refund
> Tomasz.
> How hard was it ?

Hiya,

Yes I've managed it, bought a laptop with Dell and spoke to an Indian who
really couldn't care less. I was simply quite hmm, clear and unwavering, not
quite to the extent of being stern, and basically got what I wanted.

But then I have to deal with many people on the phone who give me less than
stellar service and so I'm used to it. If you're convinced what you're
asking for is fair, then stand up for it.

Or ask yourself: What would Gordon Ramsay say? Take out the swearing and say
that. :)

Tomasz