[plug] Apache Server Alias - revisited

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Thu May 8 22:28:55 WST 2008

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 17:57, michaelbaker at westnet.com.au wrote:
> Well if DNS was configured right. Apache shouldnt even see the
> request.....
>
> media.mydomain.com. IN CNAME google.com.
>
> Would make http://media.mydomain.com open up on Google's web server
> provided I reload the records with a new serial.

I try to achieve a similar thing. People use their laptops from home to access
out webserver which unfortunately does not have a fixed IP address.
They use http://host.dnsalias.com when connecting externally and
http://host.mydomain.com when connecting internally.

The external address does resolve on the internal network, but it is on the
other side of the router and when this address is used, so requests go to the
void. External connections have restricted functionality, whereas internal
connections have full access.

It would be nice, if host.dnsalias.com would, when used from the internal
network, translate to host.mydomain.com.

I tried to achieve this with

host.dnsalias.com. IN CNAME host.mydomain.com.

but have not succeeded.

How is it done right?

Peter