[plug] FW: How to create an external USB bootable Linux hard drive (without dual-boot)

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at iinet.net.au
Sat May 10 09:28:04 WST 2008

I tried this a few years ago. It's only really practical if you have a
newer motherboard whereby the BIOS supports USB2.0. Loading Linux from
an external drive at USB1.1 works, but takes forever.

I went one step further and installed XP on the external drive. It
refused to boot without crashing at 1.1 speeds.

I imagine USB2.0 speed BIOS would probably work without a hitch, but
that's not a good enough reason for me to upgrade a perfectly good
motherboard.

Jason Posavec