[plug] dhcpd.conf static routes

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Wed May 14 02:45:19 WST 2008

I'm trying to set up my dhcpd.conf such that some static routes are
passed to clients.
Setup:
I've got a subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

Clients are given an address on this subnet, with the default gateway
being provided as 192.168.1.1.  No problems there.  I've also got two
other subnets (vpn) 192.168.2/24 and 192.168.3/24 which are available
from 192.168.1.50.

I'm wanting to have routes to these two other subnets passed to dhcp
clients on 192.168.1.0/24 such that they can reach nodes on these two
other subnets.  Looking through the docs for dhcpd.conf, it appears the
only option that comes close is:
option static-routes ip-address ip-address
                  [, ip-address ip-address...];

This almost but not quite does the job in that it can not do classless
subnets (which I don't have here yet, but almost certainly will in the
future) and it isn't implemented for windows clients.  Does anyone have
any suggestions as to how this is supposed to be handled with dhcp?

The only fallback options I can think of are to:
a) route all traffic for the two subnets via the default gateway (which
has static routes set) which I'd rather not do or:
b) set a route on each client using a local scripts (rc.local?) after
the dhcp server has done it's bit.  This sort of defeats having dhcp in
the first place.

Regards,
Tim Bowden