[plug] uvcvideo module for logitech quickcam pro 9000

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed May 14 19:43:44 WST 2008

David Dartnall wrote:
> Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Tomasz Grzegurzko
>> <tomasz89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:14 PM, David Dartnall
>>> <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:
>>>  > Hi all, as usual I need help again.
>>>  >
>>>  >  Hardy:
>>>  >  Documentation for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS at 'https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/'
>>>  > indicates module 'uvcvideo' is required for this webcam.
>>>  >
>>>  >  'lsmod | grep uvcvideo' returns no response.
>>>  >  Installation of subversion and the latest source as instructed in
>>> the above
>>>  > documentation, and execution of 'make' results in:
>>>  >
>>>  >  make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/build: No such file or
>>> directory.
>>>  > Stop.
>>>  >  make: *** [uvcvideo] Error 2
>>>  >
>>>  >  I've found a file  'uvcvideo.ko' at
>>>  > /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/
>>>  >
>>>  >  If this is the required module already in the system ready for
>>> installation
>>>  > then I've wasted a lot of time getting this far (except for what
>>> I've learnt
>>>  > about subversion) but it doesn't seem right.
>>>  >
>>>  >  What should I do from here? I don't yet have the webcam - thought
>>> I'd
>>>  > organise the module first...
>>>  >
>>>  >  Any help would be appreciated.
>>>  >  Dave Dartnall
>>>
>>>  Hi Dave,
>>>
>>>  You're following two approaches:
>>>  1/ Get the source code of the module (ie. driver) that supports your
>>>  hardware and compile it against your own kernel yourself.
>>>  2/ Load the module from Ubuntu's already pre-compiled, pre-made,
>>>  pre-fabricated repositories and just use it!
>>>
>>>  I'd suggest 2: in which case
>>>  # modprobe uvcvideo.ko
>>>  Then lsmod should show 'uvcvideo' too.
>>>
>>>  If you want to get back to 1, let us know!
>>>
>>>  Tomasz
>>>

>> On the other hand, if you plug the camera in, the module will
>> auto-load so you're really going in to a lot of effort for nothing,
>> but I was hoping you'd see the results you want with the above...
>>
>> :)
>> Tomasz.
> Thank you both Tomasz and Brad.
>
> 'uvcvideo.ko' does look like the module but the '.ko' floored me.
> And subsequent to your reply, modprobe 'uvcvideo.ko' or 'uvcvideo' both
> produced:
> "FATAL: Module uvcvideo.ko / uvcvideo not found."

Bugger. I just tried it on my default 8.04 install and it worked perfectly.

> Similarly, installation of 'linux-headers-generic' was no improvement.
> Same result from execution of 'make'
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/, which is what the Makefile seems to want,
> exists but there is no executable file or directory named 'build' in it,
> and 'uvcvideo.ko' is found at
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/.

What does 'uname -a' tell us ?
Generally there will be a /lib/modules/.... that is the same as what 'uname -r' would say.

Woah woah woah.. I just re-read what you posted. Did you upgrade this machine from 7.10 by any
chance? If you are running 2.6.22-14-386 as the makefile is requesting then you are running an old
kernel and there is no way it will find the module you are trying to install!

> If it looks as though I'm confused, you're right. I am.

Not to worry, we've all been there more than once!

Brad