[plug] uvcvideo module for logitech quickcam pro 9000

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Wed May 14 20:48:03 WST 2008

Brad Campbell wrote:
> David Dartnall wrote:
>> Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

>>> On the other hand, if you plug the camera in, the module will
>>> auto-load so you're really going in to a lot of effort for nothing,
>>> but I was hoping you'd see the results you want with the above...
>>>
>>> :)
>>> Tomasz.
>> Thank you both Tomasz and Brad.
>>
>> 'uvcvideo.ko' does look like the module but the '.ko' floored me.
>> And subsequent to your reply, modprobe 'uvcvideo.ko' or 'uvcvideo'
>> both produced:
>> "FATAL: Module uvcvideo.ko / uvcvideo not found."
>
> Bugger. I just tried it on my default 8.04 install and it worked
> perfectly.
>

>> Similarly, installation of 'linux-headers-generic' was no
>> improvement. Same result from execution of 'make'
>>
>> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/, which is what the Makefile seems to
>> want, exists but there is no executable file or directory named
>> 'build' in it, and 'uvcvideo.ko' is found at
>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/.
>
> What does 'uname -a' tell us ?
> Generally there will be a /lib/modules/.... that is the same as what
> 'uname -r' would say.
>
> Woah woah woah.. I just re-read what you posted. Did you upgrade this
> machine from 7.10 by any chance? If you are running 2.6.22-14-386 as
> the makefile is requesting then you are running an old kernel and
> there is no way it will find the module you are trying to install!

uname -r says: Linux localhost 2.6.22-14-386 #1 Tue Feb 12 07:12:19 UTC
2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Upgrade was from 7.1 Gutsy - the most recent?

modprobe uvcvideo says: FATAL: Module uvcvideo not found.

And I'm sorry folks, I've had it for the day - off to bed to read the
latest LINUX JOURNAL just arrived.