[plug] broadband with linux

Coral and Ben cobel at bigpond.com
Sat May 17 11:06:17 WST 2008

Hi,

where I live the only options for broadband are sattelite or wireless,
and the only wireless provider out here is telstra. So, my experience
has been this - sattelite works great as it usually involves some sort
of modem that produces an ethernet based connection, however it is slow
by comparison to regular broadband, and needlessly expensive if you can
get regular broadband. Telstra's wireless next G is what i have now, and
with minimal, easy configuration their usb modem is reliable and usable
with linux (but be aware they refuse to acknowledge or support this), as
well as nextG being comparable in speed to regular broadband, and handy
if you have a laptop too - you can take your internet with you, although
telstra are a nightmare when it comes to support and billing and any
customer interaction, and if you ask me the cost of nextG wireless is
also a bit on the ridiculous side, and there are no shaped plans.

as for voip - I use skype to communicate with my husband (whos working
in africa) by voice and webcam - both of which now work with the latest
version of skype for linux. however both sattelite and wireless internet
suffer a time lag, wireless is only a small lag though.

that all said I have temporarily gone back to windows, as my newish dell
came with winXP and I find internet connection sharing with the telstra
modem is not entirely reliable with linux (and again don't listen to
telstra you can share your wireless connection quite easily in win/lin)

this probably doesnt really help - but maybe its worth it for
comparison's sake