[plug] Ubuntu 8.04

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 12:14:52 WST 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> 'morning guys, girls and those who aren't sure...
>
> I've been running Ubuntu 8.04 Beta since it was released on Ubuntu's
> website, my system has been progressively auto-updating itself so it's now
> updated all the libraries and stuff and now tells me it's Ubuntu 8.04, ie no
> Beta coding on here anymore.
>
> I run the AMD64 release, my cousin who I live with runs the i386 release. I
> thought there may be something to do with running the Beta version, X/GDM
> would crash sporadically, Pidgin would also crash sporadically and, through
> trial and error I think I figured out there may be various website which
> have code which GDM/X doesn't like, causes X to crash back to shell...I
> tried startx again a few times but nothing fully initialised and I only end
> up with a dark grey screen, escaping out of X didn't work so a reset was
> required.
>
> I know I have some bad sectors on my secondary SATA drive, I figured that
> may be a cause for the random crashes, however my cousin has the same
> problem. As mentioned he's running the i386 release and totally different
> hardware overall, but he's experiencing similar problems.
>
> I was thinking maybe when the OS updated itself from the Beta -> Full
> release code the problems may have been resolved...
>
> My cousins converted himself from Vista to Ubuntu after seeing me using it
> and saying "what's that ?! I thought I thought Linux was too hard to
> use....etc", I initially gave him the Live CD and although that was good for
> a first glimpse it doesn't give an idea of true reaction time for programs
> to open and all that. Anyway, got the all clear from his old man and we have
> Ubuntu dual booting with Vista - he says he likes Ubuntu better than
> Vista... (but his old man's a Windows man, so better not say it too loudly
> :P )
>
> I've downloaded the full ISO from 3FL, various websites say if your machine
> is still running Beta code you'll be prompted to upgrade, I have no such
> prompts and System -> About Ubuntu doesn't mention anything about Beta, so
> I'm guessing she's auto updated to full release.
>
> I've googled around and haven't really found anything that relates to our
> problems but hey, maybe the answers staring me in the face or maybe I'm not
> quite using the right search terms but if anyone has any feedback or
> suggestions I'm all ears.
>
> Cheers
> Kai

I've been using it for months, pre beta, pre release, now release. I
would have to say the cause of my problems is because of a (*#&$(*#&$(
ATI graphics card, but otherwise found the OS to be fine.
I'd say that if your /etc/apt/sources.list is correct then update
manager will prompt you if there are updates available, so I'd check
that first. Or you can just run aptitude and check it out yourself to
see if you're up to date.

Tomasz