[plug] broadband with linux

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sun May 18 08:23:36 WST 2008

Coral and Ben wrote:

>>   Unfortunately not, the 3 network is limited to perth and the larger
>> towns like bunbury and albany - although I do check their coverage
>> fairly regularly to see how far it goes. I think out here (15km south
>> of narrogin) we can get 'roaming' access to the 3 data network, but
>> that is charged at a much higher rate and isn't high speed, I might
>> be wrong - i've looked at a lot of alternatives, none of which were
>> feasable, in fact we officially don't even get nextG coverage, I have
>> a car antenna bolted to my tin roof and a long cable that goes from
>> that to the modem, and even then I only get about 30% signal.
>
> Rural WA is abysmally supplied with real options, both satellite and
> telstra wireless are more expensive than regular broadband, but are
> our only options, and here's the real kick in the butt:
>
> the broadband guarantee only applies to satellite equipment, not
> wireless - they say its because wireless is a 'mobile' type of
> internet - but actually there is two kinds of wireless, the expensive
> pay through the nose kind that can go on the road with you, or the
> slightly cheaper, needs AC power kind - not really very mobile, but a
> whole lot faster than satellite, and entirely excluded from the
> government subsidy program.
>
> It really frustrates me because most people out here don't have a
> clue, they think that 'broadband' means fast internet full stop. But
> satellite 'broadband' only goes up to around 500kbit and costs more
> than regular land-line based broadband which is up to, what - 2Mbit in
> the cities, if the government weren't so stupid they would stop paying
> for people to get sub-standard satellite service and use the millions
> to lay some better cabling out here and break the telstra monopoly.

Can't you get BroadBandNet there?  Check out bbnet.com.au.  Also there's
a relatively new player offering wireless in the regional areas - Ocean
Broadband.  I'm in Albany on BBNet and I was under the impression that
they covered most of the wheatbelt.

That'll be 2d please :-)

Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at bbnet.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
They say a marble sized object collided with some gasses, and had
a massive explosion and the universe was born.
   - to believe this takes more faith than I have.