[plug] broadband with linux

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat May 24 10:41:41 WST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Paul Antoine <pma-la at milleng.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Coral,
>
>> It's kind of hard to minimise the length of cable, theres probably about
>> 4-5m between the best spot for the antenna and the powerpoints in my office,
>> even if i had the modem right near the antenna I'd still need to have a long
>> usb cable to connect the modem to the computer.
>
> I understand - might be worth a try anyway if you're a true bandwidth junky
> ;-)
>
> USB cables can be 5m and if you use a hub you can get another 5m and of
> course an extension cord will do the power... </tempt mode>

You can actually get these 'active' USB extension cables which are
supposed to give you another 5 metres without being powered. Don't
know how well they work: http://tinyurl.com/526mlx.

Freenet Antennas is based in Perth, I've bought a lot of wireless
networking gear off them in the past. Rob Clark (the guy who runs it)
knows his stuff.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting