[plug] not too dumb I hope

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:05:32 WST 2008

On 27/05/2008, Kev <kdownes at bbnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I hope my question isn't too dumb, but I just can't visualise what's going
> to happen when I virtualise my idea.
>
>  Say I have 2 physical HDDs, /apart/ from the drive where my system and home
> directory is mounted, and each of which has only 1 partition.  If I mount
> one as, say, ~kev/music and another one as ~/kev/music/favourites will there
> be any collision of any sort?  For instance, when I check how much space
> I've used on each will the figures for ~kev/music also include whatever
> stuff is in ~/kev/music/favoutites?  While the latter is a separate HDD, it
> is mounted as a subdirectory of the former.
>  I think my seniors' moments are coming all too frequently now-a-days.  My
> head gets in a spin just trying to visualise what it is I'm wanting to do.

This already happens with the live system - other partitions mount under /.

A "du" of ~kev/music/ will include the subdirectory content in the
total (assuming it's mounted), but a "df" will show them individually.

HTH
Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.